I know – I get it … most people reading this post will be too busy to even look at the text below. There is a great temptation just to scan and skip. There are plenty of other messages waiting in your inbox deserving of your attention also. There is your social media feed which is a complete distraction from all of the things you are ‘meant’ to be doing. You are balancing kids activities, feeling guilty you are not giving them enough attention, feeling guilty that another week has passed by and you haven’t followed your exercise plan yet again, feeling guilty because when you take a moment for yourself you feel you ‘should’ be doing something else, you have demands to be ‘here’ when you want to be ‘there’ and the list goes on and on and on.
For a moment – just take a long deep breath in – hold for a few seconds – and then exhale. Then, go out on a limb and do it one more time! Observe how just taking this brief moment, slows everything down just a little.
I believe that amidst the ‘busyness’ we are drawn to the things we need the most. I often wonder – did I choose essential oils or did they choose me?! Whatever the answer, I’m grateful that essential oils are a part of my life – they support me (and my family) every single day. It excites me when others discover just how powerful oils are too. Part of it is the holistic nature of essential oils, they are 100% pure plant extracts derived from nature – they not only awaken the senses, they awaken the soul. Some people experience immediate positive results – others notice profound changes in their lives over time.
“Do the best that you can. Until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” Maya Angelou
I love this quote! We are all on a journey doing the best we can with what we have.
I have created below an essential oils reference guide for busy Mums seeking a little more calm, clarity and positivity in their everyday (and come back to it if you don’t have time right now).
When you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed:
- Lavender. Lavender is the oil of calm (often known as the Swiss army knife of oils!). It helps calm and relax the nervous system and may be used aromatically and topically. Add a few drops to your diffuser or apply to your wrists and behind your ears. Add a few drops to the palm of your hand, cup your hands and then take a deep breath, then place your hands on your heart or on the back of your neck.
- Harmony Aromatic Mist (Combardis). Spray the mist over the crown of your head. Breathe the scent in deeply and repeat the affirmation “I am connected to a deep sense of peace within me.” Use at the first sign of any stressful situation – this may be just trying to get the kids out the door to school in the morning!
- Citrus Oils. Citrus oils such as Lemon, Wild Orange and Bergamot are incredible to diffuse in the room to lesson heightened tension.
- Vetiver. Vetiver is an exotic, earthy essential oil that is extremely grounding and calming. It is used widely in perfumes. Apply to your wrists and behind the ears or add just a drop to a diffuser blend of Lavender and Wild Orange.
When you (and your family) need quality sleep:
- Lavender. Diffuse in the bedroom or massage into the soles of the feet. Children often love a few drops of Lavender massaged along the length of their spine just before bed. For greater intensity add Frankincense (a deeply grounding and centering oil) and/or Vetiver to the diffuser blend.
- Peaceful Sleep Pillow Mist (Combardis). A blend of Lavender, Vanilla, Patchouli and Cedarwood essential oils promote a deep and restful sleep. Lightly spray your pillow, then close your eyes and spray a fine mist over your head and shoulders, take a deep breath and allow the stresses of the day to dissolve.
When you want to feel energised:
- Peppermint. Inhaling Peppermint awakens the senses. Its scent is invigorating and brings joy to the mind, body and spirit. It is known as the oil of a buoyant heart. It is also great for headaches, temperature regulation and for calming upset tummies. It is a beautiful morning diffuser blend with Wild Orange.
When you want to feel inspired:
- Wild Orange. Wild Orange is uplifting and optimistic. It supports a positive mood and is the oil of abundance, spontaneity and fun. Diffuse on its own or with Cinnamon and Lime oils.
- Free The Spirit Aromatic Mist (Combardis). Allow your authentic and creative energy to flow. Open your heart and mind to the infinite wonder that exists for your life. Essential oils of Lemongrass, Yang Ylang, Bergamot and Cedarwood infuse this uplifting blend. Spray a fine mist over the crown of your head and breathe the scent in deeply. Use frequently throughout the day.
When you need to focus:
- Lemon. Known as the oil of focus. Diffuse to feel engaged and alert. From here, anything is possible! Also apply to wrists and temples.
- Clarity Aromatic Mist (Combardis). An infusion of Peppermint, Rosemary and Citrus Oils. Great for work/study, focus and an afternoon ‘pick me up’.
To create a simple yet effective self-care practice:
- Ylang Ylang. Ylang Ylang is a powerful remedy for the heart. It helps move us out of our head and into a space of “heart knowing”- a place of connectedness where we can more easily access our intuition. Place a couple of drops of Ylang Ylang into a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut or jojoba and use as a body moisturiser. Use after showering and take a moment to express kindness and gratitude to yourself. Throughout the day apply a couple of drops over the heart. Ylang Ylang is a deeply feminine oil that awakens you to your Goddess power!
- Love Aromatic Mist (Combardis). A blend of Rose Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Lavender & Bergamot help nurture a connection of self love and acceptance. Simply Mist, Breathe and BE.
For calm kids:
- Calmer Kids Aromatic Mist (Combardis). A blend of Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Cedarwood, Bergamot and Frankincense oils to reduce irritability and create a positive and comforting space. Spray a fine mist over your little one and encourage them to take a slow, deep breath.
The recommendations above are based on using pure 100% essential oils only. Pure essential oils bring harmony to the mind and body as they are extracted in a way that maintains the integrity and life force of the plant. The divine intelligence that creates harmony in nature works to create harmony in our body. And, when Mum feels harmony it goes without saying that the rest of the household benefits!
When you use essential oils you are also reducing toxicity in your home. Toxic chemicals wreak havoc with our immune system, hormones and overall body chemistry.
Consider integrating essential oils into your wellness toolkit. Feel supported, uplifted and inspired!!